A couple days of work

It has been an interesting week for me.  I have been applying for jobs for a while now.  I’m not sure what type of job I want to get so job hunting has been difficult.  As I’ve been looking I’ve checked out the career pages of companies who I believe may share similar values as me.  I ended up applying to a company that makes organic bread.  The job posting didn’t have a wage up at the time that I applied but I sent in my résumé and hoped for the best.  I applied for a delivery driver job.  It’s certainly not glamorous but I have done deliveries in the past and have kind of enjoyed it.  I like being busy and working hard and I like driving.  The night before my interview I looked at the company’s website again to help prepare me for the interview.  I noticed that they had changed the job postings and that the wages were up.  They were less than half of what I made at my last job.  I started to seriously doubt whether I should go for the interview.  But I decided that I’d rather work for a low wage for the time being at a job that I don’t mind than collect EI.  I went in for my interview and it seemed to go really well.  The interviewer noticed that I had some previous supervisory experience and suggested that maybe I might be a good candidate for managing a new store/bakery that they are hoping to open.  At the time I didn’t think much of it but I considered the idea after I left the interview.  I had a good feeling that they were going to offer me a position and within an hour or two I had received a call to come back the next day so that they could make me an offer.  I went back and they basically just started filling out the employment forms.  Between reading forms and filling them out I asked questions about the job.  I didn’t notice it at the time but they evaded the question when I asked about the work hours.  They told me the start time and left me to assume that the shifts were 8hrs.  They asked me to start work the next day.  In hindsight I really should have said no and asked if they could give me a day to consider whether I wanted to take the job.  But I didn’t.  Instead I showed up for my first shift at 5:15am, after being out at my bible study until about 9:30pm the night before.  Needless to say it was difficult to get out of bed at 4am.  When I got to the bakery I discovered that we would not be working 8hrs that day.  This was my first ‘oh crap, what have I gotten myself into’ moment.  We then began our day driving back and forth between two locations that we couldn’t even get into because it was too early and no one was at the locations to let us in.  The company is quickly going down in my books at this point.  There is an obvious lack in organization and management.  Then the lady I’m driving/training with starts smoking at the open van door while talking to me as all the smoke comes into the van.  I don’t smoke and don’t really have any desire to start.  I have asthma and I like to try to keep my lungs in as good of shape as I can so that I can run.  I don’t appreciate breathing in second-hand smoke.  It also just seemed wrong to be filling a van full of healthy organic bread with smoke.  I commented to the lady that I have asthma and don’t want to be breathing in her smoke.  I didn’t know what else to do other than get out of the van and walk far enough away to not be breathing in the smoke anymore.  I realize that smokers have an addiction and ‘need’ to smoke but I wish that they were more aware of the fact (or cared) that other people really don’t want to breathe their second-hand smoke.  So far this day was not starting out well for me and we were only 2 hrs in.  Finally someone arrived at the location and we were able to start working.  The work itself was ok.  It was very simple and easy and my only concerns with the job were the lifting (since I have an old shoulder injury and a wrist injury) and finding the locations and remembering the differences between how each location wanted you to do things.  But all day I just kept thinking that the job and the company were not for me.  I didn’t feel like I fit in.  The lady that I was working with was not someone who I would ever be friends with.  She just seemed really crude.  At the end of day 1 (which was about 6hrs long) I really did not want to go back ever again.  I would have quit but as far as I understand if I had quit I would not have been able to start collecting EI.  This would be a big problem.  So now I was feeling like I was stuck at a low paying job that I was very possibly going to really dislike.  But I went to work again the next day.  I was feeling stressed that day because I still had about 40 pages to read for my class that night (I hadn’t been expecting to be working).  I also had tonnes of stuff to get done that I knew was going to be difficult now that I was working and hadn’t had time to plan for it.  I knew that I was going to be sleep deprived the next day because I don’t get home from my class until sometime between 10 and 11pm.  I commented at one point that I was concerned that we wouldn’t be back in time for me to get my reading done and get ready for my class.  This was a busier day than the previous one.  It turned out that we did get back at a decent time and I quickly left after unloading the truck to go home and get ready for class.  When I got home I saw that I had a message from the bread company.  The message asked me to call before my next shift and I immediately hoped that maybe they were going to tell me not to come in for my next shift.  My wish came true.  The company owner said that he wanted to ‘end the relationship’.  My first feeling was one of immense relief.  Then I was kind of surprised and confused and even a little angry.  I asked him why and he said that I wasn’t friendly enough and that I didn’t engage with the customers enough.  I can see how the lady I was with would not think that I was very friendly.  I tend to be a kind of reserved when I don’t know people and it can take me a while to warm up and honestly I didn’t really have any desire to warm up to her.  I’m not particularly outgoing most of the time and I’m usually pretty quiet.  I don’t really feel that 2 partial days of training on a new job is much to judge someone on but I was certainly not about to complain or argue.  I know that I’m a good worker and I know that my former employers have been very happy with me.  I will take this gift of an easy way out of a crappy job and be happy about it.  I was also pleased to have a good problem to take to my counselling skills class that night.  It was our first class of 10 minute interviews instead of the usual 5 minute ones and I had been worried that I wouldn’t be able to think of a good problem to talk about for 10 minutes.  I ended up having no trouble at all and probably could have talked for at least another 10 minutes.  So now I’m back to job hunting.  I applied for another job yesterday and have a couple more applications that I hope to complete tomorrow.  

In my last post I think that I’d mentioned that I was going to try and do some classes at the gym this week and last week instead of just running.  Well, I haven’t done a single class.  But I have been running.  I ran Tues, Fri and Sat last week.  I also did 2 strength and flexibility workouts at home and half of my yoga dvd.  This week so far I ran on Sunday and Wednesday and I plan to run tomorrow.  I also did upper body weights on Wednesday.  I haven’t decided if I will do my long run tomorrow (24+ km) or if I will do a short one and then do my long run on the weekend.  I kind of want to get it over with.  I guess I’ll see how I feel and how much of my to-do list I finish in the morning.  I probably will decide not to do the long run because I’m helping with a middle school event in the evening and I often get a bad headache after a long run.  Saturday will probably be a better day to run.  I think the weather is supposed to be better on Saturday as well.  I will be trying out some form of electrolytes on my run.  Hopefully I will notice a difference in how I feel.     


This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s